When an exception comes in SharePoint environment usually the page we see is Unknown error, nothing else.
To see the actual exception details follow the steps below.
- Go to the location where your SharePoint application is present in the file system. It is usually at the location inetpub/wss/virtual directories/[port number].
- Find the web.config file.
- Take a backup of it.
- Open the file in some nice editor like Visual studio and find the tag <SafeMode
- This is the first child tag under <SharePoint>
- You can see the tag syntax something similar to this.
<SafeMode MaxControls=”200″ CallStack=”false” DirectFileDependencies=”10″ …….
- One of the attributes for <SafeMode called CallStack, which holds the boolean value which tells to SharePoint framework whether to show the actual exception details or not.
- Set this value to true in-order to view the actual exception details on screen[browser].
- Set the CustomErrors section to Off to view complete details as shown below.
- <customErrors mode=”Off” />
- IISRESET is not compulsory. If you do then that will be good.
Hope this will help to you to make fast development and no such big pains to look into all the log files for errors.